Thursday, May 2, 2019

THE FAMILY OF ROGER I. PARKE


In genealogy research, it is always helpful to find a will of an ancestor, especially when the ancestor  lived in the early 1700s,  as Roger Parke did, in the years before census records, marriage records, and other civil records were created. Roger's will named his children and  grandchildren, for instance, which revealed the names of his daughters' married surnames:

"Roger Park, of Rye, Westchester, NY....
Leaves to sons Roger and Thomas all lands in Harrison's Purchase bought of Wm Fowler deceased.
'Roger is to have his part next to land of James 'Pine deceased, now Jonathan Brown's.'
Leaves to son Thomas 3 acres bought of Joseph Fowler deceased, 'where I now dwell, with houses, etc., and my salt meadow. Also my right in the Ferry from Rye to Oyster Bay, and my undivided lands in Rye.'
Mentions daughters Charlotte, Mary, Sophia, and Elizabeth.
'L5 [5 pounds] are to laid out in purchasing 5 Bibles of 20s each, and given to my grandsons Jesse son of Roger, Roger son of Thomas, Roger Purdy, son of my daughter Mary, Roger Haviland son of my daughter Charlotte, and Park Brown Son of my daughter Sophia.'
Leaves to son Thomas 30 acres in manor of Cortlandt.
'My daughter Mary wife of Joshua Purdy.'
June 11, 1768
Proved Feb 1, 1772"

Roger was born in 1654. His wife was Sophia Claes Jansa who was born in 1665. I know very little about their children but their names:

Mary, our ancestor, was christened 26 Dec 1686 at the Reformed Dutch Church in New York, New York, NY
Roger
Thomas
Charlotte
Mary
Sophia
Elizabeth

ROGER I. PARKE
BORN: 1654
MARRIED: unknown date and place
DIED: bef 11 Jun 1768

SOPHIA CLAES JANSA
BORN: 1665 in , ,NY
DIED: unknown
SOURCES: Birth of Sophia Jansa in New York Births and Christenings 1640-1962; Marie Park's christening: FHL Microfilm 17,503 of the Dutch Reformed Church's christenings; Early wills of Westchester County, New York - Roger Park Citation: "Early wills of Westchester County, New York, fr...." Early wills of Westchester County, New York, fr.... N.p., n.d. Web. 22 Nov. 2012..pp. 247-248